scrap pad

comment at uncertain principles

because every word I write is precious. (actually: if I make and save an idea now, maybe I can find a use for it later)

I commented on this post about most popular college majors. what I was thinking, and trying to say indirectly, is that more people go to public universities/colleges, there is a distinct class differentiation between public and private institutions, and this list reflects that weighting. for many people who go to public unis, secondary education is a way to try and move 'up' in terms of class. the specific majors of business and education point towards careers that are white-collar but within the experience of lower-middle class students. basically I think that c.o.'s suprise (and the commenters' suprise) at the composition of the list is because his (their) experience of higher education is exclusively (IIRC) at private colleges (williams, union, etc).

not that I mean any comment as a criticism of c.o./uncertain principles. I really enjoy that blog. it's a little weird to me thinking that I would be more aware of class bias than someone else, because for most of my life I've lived in a 'classless' bubble. (thinking of: 20 things about class)

Archives

who I am