scrap pad

train speculation

Is it a new train every time it runs through the station? On each execution of each route? Is yesterday's 10:40 the same train as today's? Is there only one train that makes multiple trips? Is it a different train every time different cars are put together? Or is the train just the engine? Did I take only one train this weekend, or two, because I took one down and another back? When I take the train again, will I take the same train a) because it is Amtrak, b) because I might take the same 10:40 train, c) because it is the same route, or d) there will be different cars, so it will be a different train? (expansion on an email ramble that got all stuck in my head)

also, sac-<sf train info: take the train from sac to richmond ($16, but it fluctuates. takes 1 hour, 40 minutes.), then the bart from richmond into downtown SF (to 16th & mission is $3.85. takes 45 minutes.). OR: train from sac to emeryville ($16), amtrak bus from emeryville to downtown SF ($5). the greyhound goes from downtown sac to downtown SF (mission and 1st) for $32 round-trip, or $18 each way, which seems to be a constant price. amtrak has more leg room and trains are more fun. amtrak does not necessarily not smell less like piss, though. sit on the west side to see the bay, and the C&H sugar refinery (left side going north; right side going south).

Archives

who I am