scrap pad

spreadsheets = mini-apps

it's cool how spreadsheets can become mini-applications; excel jockeys can hack together whatever they need, and if it's documented or fairly clear, pass it onto their friends. a spreadsheet I made recently (the one I wrote about before) may go on to be used for general project tracking at the county office I made it for. great! way better than their scattered previous solutions. but at the same time, I worry that someone will look at it and be all, "wow, what a giant hack." even though it has some pretty neat features, like filling in a row from another sheet, referenced by the value first column (first col = sheet name).

(thinking about this partly because of something about Anil Dash; I heard the spreadsheets-as-mini-apps from his blog in the first place, a while ago)

Archives

who I am