scrap pad

apple cider vinegar

mike just asked me:

bec,
how do you take apple cider vinegar? can you mix 1 teaspoon in with water once daily? any danger to taking too much? i hear its a good detox. how do you consume?
thanks

email-advice columnist that I am, I sent this reply:

There's no danger of taking too much (or, you won't want to drink too much). If you have some daily ailment, somebody will tell you it can be cured with apple cider vinegar. You can drink 1 tsp to 1 tbsp in 16oz water (more or less water, whatever is palatable); sometimes adding honey makes it better. I drink it sometimes when I get really dehydrated and it helps a lot; it's like a sports drink, but old fashioned. I find it clears my mouth because it's acidic rather than sugary.

I should probably also add that it can be bad to drink concentrated acidic things, because it can eat away at the enamel on your teeth, so don't down a tablespoon of vinegar in a tiny cup of water. (also, Coca Cola is a somewhat concentrated acidic thing.)

HTH!

Archives

who I am